Review: A Little Too Wild by Devney Perry

A LITTLE TOO WILD
Devney Perry
Series: Madigan Mountain #3
Format: Audio
Genre: Contemporary romance
Tropes: brother's best friend, friends with benefits, professional athlete

Crew Madigan is a snowboarding legend. He’s gorgeous, rich, famous and every woman’s dream. Well, except mine. I’ll take a nerdy guy with a clumsy streak who wouldn’t know what to do with a pair of skis to save his life. Superstar athletes? No, thanks. World champions? Hard pass. Crew? Definitely not.


It’s been over a decade since Crew set foot on Madigan Mountain. Instead of sitting with his family during his brother’s wedding, he takes the chair beside mine. ESPN really doesn’t do that chiseled jaw justice. The cameras miss the flecks of gold in his eyes. When he invites me to his hotel room after the wedding, I break all of my own rules for just one night.

But here’s the problem with just one night. Crew is impossible to forget. And he’s not the only one who loves a thrill. The crash, the broken bones, are inevitable. Because together, we’re a little too wild.


Crew: The youngest of the Madigan brothers, he was the last to return home and the one who struggled the most with the loss of his mother and the aftermath. He’d stayed away for twelve years, focused solely on his career. When a trip home for his brother’s wedding led to a night with Raven, he was unprepared to develop real feelings for her. And when his trip was extended and he began to reconnect with his brothers and father, he was faced with some life-altering decisions.

Raven: Having sworn off athletes and their nomadic love ‘em and leave ‘em lifestyles, Raven was holding out for the real thing: someone who would put her first. A single night with Crew (her brother’s best friend) seemed harmless, but when he stayed on at Madigan Mountain and they continued to spend time together, things got complicated fast. Steeling herself for Crew’s inevitable departure, while also longing to embark on a snowboarding career of her own, Raven struggled with taking a chance on both.

What I Loved: Watching as Crew reconnected with his brothers was so satisfying. As were the tentative steps he made in repairing his relationship with his father. Perry did a great job at depicting both the highs and the lows of Crew’s career – his success and fame, along with the demands and the loneliness. Raven was a likable character and I was happy to see her finally draw boundaries with her brother and call him out on his choices, and also pursue her own dreams. A highlight was getting time with the characters/couples from the previous books, seeing all the changes in their lives, and how their relationships and families were flourishing.

But Not So Much: My quibbles are few! Because Crew and Raven’s earlier interactions were dedicated solely to their hook-ups (both agreed this was a temporary no-strings-attached thing), I was so slow to feel invested in them as a couple. It was also a little frustrating when neither Crew nor Raven would admit to having feelings and wanting a real relationship.

The Ending: I’m a sucker for a good epilogue, and A Little Too Wild delivered not one but two! Getting a glimpse into the future and seeing how far Raven and Crew had come did my heart good. 4 STARS

HAVE YOU READ THE MADIGAN MOUNTAIN SERIES?



12 comments

  1. I get why you were frustrated about them both being so weird about their feelings. I didn't mind it. Probably because this is the first Perry book I've liked in a couple releases. ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a story about a brothers best friend. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with your quibbles this still sounds like a fun romance. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read this series but the setting is a nice one for romance novels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy and do want to read the other two brothers stories. I am glad to see that you enjoyed this one. It sounds like a solid romance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double epilogues are the best! I can understand being slow to warm up to the couple given the nature of their relationship from the onset, though, I always tend to want everyone to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review darling! I am glad you really enjoyed this one. It was my favorite of the series. And it was so atmospheric for skiiers/snowboarders which I really loved. I also loved seeing the way Crew renewed his relationships with his family. Very well done by Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love a good epilogue and double epilogues can be double good. I'm so looking forward to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm maybe I should give her books a chance again but her attitude years ago towards reviewers put me off so bad that I stopped reading these...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, hate it when couples won't admit their feelings! I love a good epilogue. Two is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd be frustrated by the refusal to admit they have feelings for one another too, but everything else about this story sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm now so interested to read this one! I'm busy with arcs but I can't wait to see if I feel the same way, I have a realllllyyyyyy good feeling I'll feel exactly like you! And yay for the epilogue at the end, I can't wait to get a peak into all of their lives!

    ReplyDelete