Short Take Reviews: Too Late (Colleen Hoover) and The Next Best Day (Sharon Sala)

 

by Colleen Hoover
Content warning (highlight to view): sexual assault, abusive relationship, drug use, violence, mental illness

4.5 stars

Sloan will go through hell and back for those she loves. And she does so, every single day. Caught up with the alluring Asa Jackson, a notorious drug trafficker, Sloan has finally found a lifeline to cling to, even if it’s meant compromising her morals. She was in dire straits trying to pay for her brother’s care until she met Asa. But as Sloan became emotionally and economically reliant on him, he in turn developed a disturbing obsession with her—one that becomes increasingly dangerous every day.

When undercover DEA agent Carter enters the picture, Sloan’s surprised to feel an immediate attraction between them, despite knowing that if Asa finds out, he will kill him. And Asa has always been a step ahead of everyone in his life, including Sloan. No one has ever gotten in his way.

No one except Carter. Together, Sloan and Carter must find a way out before it’s too late.

What worked for me: This 2016 release from CoHo managed to sit on my shelf for almost 7 years before I picked it up. When I finally did, I could not put it down again. This is not swoony romance Colleen Hoover. This is dark and twisted Colleen Hoover. Told from three different points of view - Sloan, Carter, and Asa - and each one had me flipping pages as fast as I could. Asa was a villain you love to hate and while he may have been psychotic, he was also diabolical and freaking brilliant. His twisted games were so warped. The fast pace kept the tension high and even though this whole thing was over the top and veered into crazy town, I was 100% there for it. Colleen has her fans (raises my hand) and her detractors, but there's no denying she can write a story that feels unputdownable. 

But not so much: I suppose an argument could be made that Sloan was a weak heroine who went from using/depending on one man to latching on to another. And yes, there was some serious insta-connection/insta-love happening with Carter, but I was willing to go with it. I was so completely invested in this wild ride that my mantra was "bring on more crazy!"

by Sharon Sala
Content warning (highlight to view): school shooting, PTSD, death of a spouse (not on page)
3.75 stars

A fresh start for a young teacher to build the life she's dreamt of.
A second chance at romance for a single dad.
The warm and uplifting small-town community cheering them on.

After two back-to-back life-changing events, first grade teacher Katie McGrath left Albuquerque for a fresh start in Borden's Gap, Tennessee. She is finally back in the classroom where she belongs, but it will take a little while for her to heal and feel truly like herself. She'll need to dig deep to find the courage it takes to try again—in life and in love—but with some help from her neighbor Sam Youngblood and his adorable daughters who bring her out of her shell, her future is looking brighter than she dared imagine.

What worked for me: The first chapter was truly overwhelming, with both a left-at-the-altar moment and a school shooting at the elementary school where main character Katie was a first grade teacher. It was harrowing, intense, and hard to read. The second chapter, which dealt with the immediate aftermath, was just as heartbreaking. Things lightened up considerably when Katie moved to a small town in Tennessee for a fresh start. Her neighbor Sam, the chief of police, and his twin six-year-old daughters were taken with Katie from the start, and various members of the small community welcomed Katie with open arms. The relationship with Sam developed without a single hitch and twins Evie and Beth were adorable. Yeah, Sam fell into the too-good-to-be-true realm, but I didn't even care. He was thoughtful, compassionate, and just what Katie needed. 

But not so much: Two things. One, the overall feeling (and a lot of the dialogue) was way too saccharine for me. Sometimes it felt like these characters were straight out of the 1950's with the way they spoke. There were some serious issues addressed (like child abuse) and it was an odd juxtaposition to the otherwise super sweet tone. Secondly, the chapters from Katie's ex's point of view felt so out of place and unnecessary. They spanned almost the entire book and then stopped abruptly with no real resolution. Each chapter from the ex's POV pulled me out of Katie's story and left me wondering why they had been included.



Have you read either of these books?

14 comments

  1. I finally read my first Hoover book Verity earlier this year and couldn't put it down. Swoony romances aren't really my thing, but the twisted thriller writing Hoover was pretty incredible. I'm definitely adding this one to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - I've loved seeing Hoover expand beyond romance in the last couple years, like with Verity and also Layla. She can definitely deliver a gripping story in multiple genres.

      Delete
  2. I love how you include both what worked for you and what did not in these reviews. It's always nice seeing both sides of a book. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lark! I've found that this format helps me to easily express my feelings about a book. :)

      Delete
  3. I find it interesting comparing old CoHo to new CoHo. What do you think? She definitely has evolved, in my opinion, and grown as an author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - She really has evolved. Her stories are so much richer now, more depth. I enjoyed her early books, but they don't really compare to how she writes now.

      Delete
  4. I've never read Sharon Sala. The story does sound good but I don't think I'd care for the ex's chapters either. I wonder why they were in there? CoHo is hit and miss for me and I usually have to mentally prepare for the emotional roller coaster ride when I pick up one of her books, but yes, her stories are usually pretty riveting. I wonder why this have her listed as C. Hoover on this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - That's really what I was left wondering. Especially since the last chapter provided from the ex's POV provided no real closure. So why bother at all? It was weird.

      For the CoHo book, I think at the time (back in 2016) she said that she published Too Late as C. Hoover to differentiate her books. She was writing a lot of YA/NA romance at the time and she didn't want those readers to pick up Too Late as a Colleen Hoover book and expect the same.

      Delete
  5. I have only read a couple of Hoover's books and I liked them so I really should pick up more of her work. Sharon Sala has been on my tbr forever. I am not a fan of anything being overly sweet though so I will have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole - I'm not sure how representative this was of Sala's usual style but I got the feeling that overall she's probably not for me. I just don't do sweet. LOL

      Delete
  6. Shoot, I had my hands on a copy of Too Late when I was at Barnes & Noble this past week. I'll need to go back and grab one at some point because it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - I hope you'll enjoy Too Late if you decide to go back and get it! It was a bit over the top but I swear I was glued to it and couldn't put it down. :)

      Delete
  7. Yay! I love that you enjoyed Too Late. I read it on Wattpad when it came out chapter by chapter and it was such an experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I think having to wait for each chapter would have driven me crazy. The whole book was such a page turner... I needed it all NOW. lol

      Delete