The Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag | 2023

 

This is my 8th year doing this tag and it's always a fun one. I like pausing mid-year to take a look back at what I've read in the last six months. Which books have been real stand-outs, which authors have knocked my socks off, and what books I'm looking forward to in the coming months. So let me pull up my Goodreads shelves for reference and we'll get started.

I don't get too wrapped up in my Goodreads challenge  - I set a reasonable-for-me number and then don't think much about it - but here's where I stand halfway through the year. (Well, halfway plus a couple weeks.)
 


1. BEST BOOK YOU'VE READ SO FAR IN 2023


No-brainer! I read Wolfsong back in April and all I could think was: what took me so long?! This is a perfect example of the reason I save my 5-star rating. It's for books like this. These characters slayed me. Klune's ability to develop such longing, such conflict... it was exquisite torture. :) I haven't even brought myself to write a review because all I could say would be something like: Ox! Joe! Packpackpack! Gah!

2. BEST SEQUEL YOU'VE READ SO FAR IN 2023


I read the first book in the Hades Hangmen series last year, and this year I have been making my way through the rest of the series. And loving them. The second book, Heart Recaptured, was amazing and Ky and Lilah's story was raw, gritty, emotional - and put me through the wringer. In the best way.

3. A NEW RELEASE YOU HAVEN'T READ YET BUT WANT TO


I didn't even have to think about this one. Fourth Wing has been out in the world for two months and I still have not read it. With rare exceptions, fantasy is not my genre, but I adore Rebecca Yarros and I get excited for whatever she delivers. Plus, there's no denying the raves for this one.

4. MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE FOR THE SECOND HALF OF 2023

      

There are a lot (obviously) but None of This is True and Glimmers of You are two that I'm excited about.

5. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

     

An obvious choice would be the latest releases from Abbi Glines (Smokeshow and Fireball) which are two of my lowest-rated books this year. But I also didn't expect much from them so they weren't really disappointments. That title goes to Right Man, Right Time and Love on the Brain. And I'd consider that a pretty unpopular opinion in both cases. Right Man, Right Time was likely my swan song with Meghan Quinn. And I truly did not vibe with Love on the Brain and Hazelwood's characters.

6. BIGGEST SURPRISE


I'd read two previous books by Shalvis and they fell into the good-not-great category for me. Maybe it was a case of the right book at the right time, but The Sweetheart List surprised me with how much I was invested in the characters and how much I enjoyed their story. 

7. FAVORITE DEBUT OR NEW-TO-ME AUTHOR


My favorite new-to-me author has to be Jennifer Hartmann. She delivered a story in Still Beating that grabbed me by the throat and didn't let go. I found myself thinking about those characters and their story long after I finished the book. And I now want to inhale everything she has written.

8. NEWEST FICTIONAL CRUSH


Liam from the Consolation duet is pretty swoony... and a top notch book boyfriend. :)

9. NEWEST FAVORITE CHARACTER


Ox. Just Ox. 

10. A BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY

   

Have you met me? I cry in half the books I read. 😉 But these were the top offenders. 

11. A BOOK THAT MADE YOU HAPPY


Happy, you say? Um, I don't read a lot of happy books. I read books that are angsty and emotional and make me cry. But okay, sure, I can come up with one that made me happy. Come With Me made me happy because even though the duo of Kennedy Fox was no longer writing together, I could still enjoy their work separately. And Come With Me was a fantastic introduction to Brooke's new series. 

12. FAVORITE BOOK-TO-MOVIE ADAPTATION


Stop the presses! I actually have an answer for this prompt this year! I am not a tv/movie watcher so I usually skip this one, but I did go the theater back in April or May and saw the adaptation of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Super cute and nostalgic.

13. FAVORITE POST YOU'VE DONE THIS YEAR

This always seems like weird/impossible to answer question. But I'll go with my "If You Like That Author, Try This Author" post from back in March.

14. MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK YOU'VE BOUGHT THIS YEAR


This special edition of Knotted by Pam Godwin (from Fabled Co) is stunningly beautiful. 😍

15. BOOKS YOU WANT TO READ BY THE END OF THE YEAR

   

How much time do we have? Obviously, I want to read All The Books, but for the sake of brevity, I'll leave it at these: Lotus, Forbidden Hearts, Coach, and Ravensong.

What's the best book you've read so far in 2023? 

22 comments

  1. Looks like you're doing well with your Goodreads challenge. I enjoyed The Sweetheart List as well. Love on the Brain was not my favorite Hazelwood, but I did enjoy it more than you. Her newest, Love, Theoretically is my favorite to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed The Sweetheart List. It's not my usual style but something about it really hooked me.

      Delete
  2. I haven't watched Margaret yet - I totally remember reading the book more than once as a kid, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela - Same here! I read that book over and over as a kid.

      Delete
  3. I think you will love Fourth Wing and Coach. I'm sad that Quinn book didn't work for you, but I guess they all can't. ;) It looks like you're having a great reading year.
    P.S. I just finished Tied by Carian Cole based off your review and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I'm super excited for both Fourth Wing and Coach. Coach sure didn't seem to get a lot of attention, though. :( So glad you loved Tied!!

      Delete
  4. It's always fun to see these mid-year tags. I now have to go add the TJ Klune book to my TBR list because I'm totally curious about Ox! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark - I can't believe I waited as long as I did to read Wolfsong. It was wonderful!

      Delete
  5. I am amazed when people can pick the best book so far. Too hard! Glad you enjoyed the newest Shalvis. I am a big fan. Everyone seems to be going gaga for that Yarros book. Maybe you don't get wrapped in the GR challenge, but you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - I think if I read as much as you I would have a much harder time picking one favorite!

      Delete
  6. It is crazy to think that we are already halfway through the year! I've heard great things about Klune, but haven't dived in yet. Definitely need to soon. As for my favorites so far, I'd have to go with either All the Sinners Bleed by S.A. Cosby or Wandering Souls by Cecile Pin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - To be honest. most of Klune's books have never appealed to me. But Wolfsong was the exception and it totally exceeded my expectations!

      Delete
  7. Fourth Wing is my favorite read of the year so far. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - Fingers crossed that I will love it as much as everyone else does!

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed The Sweetheart List too and there were a few aspects that don't always work for me. I'm on the waitlist for Fourth Wing and I absolutely can't wait for the Lisa Jewell book. I always enjoy her reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - I rarely read mystery thrillers, but I love everything Lisa Jewell writes!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait for you to readFourth Wing and I am so happy thatyou loved Wolfsong!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welp, you convinced me to add Wolfsong to my tbr. ;)

    ReplyDelete