Review: Ready to Run by Lauren Layne

Ready to Run by Lauren Layne

Series: I Do, I Don't #1

Genres: Contemporary Romance

Release Date: August 22, 2017

Format: eARC

Source: Provided by Publisher

Find it here: GoodReads | Amazon

The Bachelor meets The Runaway Bride in this addictive romance novel about a reality TV producer falling for her would-be star: a Montana heartthrob who wants nothing to do with the show.

Jordan Carpenter thinks she's finally found the perfect candidate for Jilted, a new dating show about runaway grooms: Luke Elliott, a playboy firefighter who's left not one but three brides at the altar. The only problem? Luke refuses to answer Jordan's emails or return her calls. Which is how she ends up on a flight to Montana to recruit him in person. It's not Manhattan but at least the locals in Lucky Hollow seem friendly... except for Luke, who's more intense - and way hotter - than the slick womanizer Jordan expected.

Eager to put the past behind him, Luke has zero intention of following this gorgeous, fast-talking city girl back to New York. But before he can send her packing, Jordan's everywhere: at his favorite bar, the county fair, even his exes' book club. Annoyingly, everyone is Lucky Hollow seems to like her - and deep down, she's starting to grow on him too. But the more he fights her constant pestering, the more Luke finds himself wishing that Jordan would kick off her high heels and make herself comfortable in his arms.

How does Lauren Layne do it? She consistently creates characters I love, witty banter, swoony heroes, steamy connections, and happily ever afters that keep me coming back again and again. Ready to Run is no exception.

Jordan has landed in Lucky Hollow, Montana to convince the local hot firefighter to star in a new reality dating show. Too bad for her, Luke Elliott wants no part of it and does his best to send her packing. Jordan's not one to take no for an answer and proceeds to make friends and charm everyone in the small town all while continuing to try and get past Luke's defenses. She thinks he's stubborn, he thinks she's pushy - but neither one can deny the sparks that fly every time they're together.

I was completely charmed by every character in Ready to Run. Not just Jordan and Luke but every side character as well. How often does that happen? From Jordan's best friend Simon (can he be my best friend, too?), to the ladies (including Luke's exes) that befriend Jordan, to Luke's firefighter buddies... I loved them all. I'm not typically a fan of small town settings but I found myself wanting to take up residence in Lucky Hollow and call these people my friends.

Admittedly, the plot may be a little formulaic, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment one bit. Cute, funny, sweet and sexy, and low on angst, Ready to Run totally hits the mark.


4/5 STARS

Note: I was provided a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange an honest review. This in no way alters my opinion of the book or the content of this review.




12 comments

  1. This review may actually prompt me to read one of the Layne books I own. I don't care about formulaic plots when it comes to romance books. I read them for the guaranteed HEA. They are my comfort food. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do, Sam! LL's books are always so much fun. My favorite is Blurred Lines which is a friends-to-more romance. And her weekly newsletter, The Clutch, is awesome.

      Delete
  2. I could use a really good character book right now. I do think I need to check out this author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will, Melissa! Lauren Layne hasn't disappointed me yet. :)

      Delete
  3. This book sounds like so much fun! It's funny that you said the plot sounds a little formulaic because while I was reading the summary, I thought, "This sounds like it could be a Hallmark movie..." Which, of course, are great if you're in the mood for that! Anyway, I'll be adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Too funny you say that about the Hallmark movie, Rachel, because I read another review a few days ago that compared this one to a Hallmark movie (in a good way). :) I hope you'll enjoy it if you decide to pick it up! Lauren Layne never disappoints.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like I should be trying Lauren Layne next time I'm in the mood for contemporary romance! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Her books are some of my go-to's when it comes to contemporary romance that I can count on.

      Delete
  5. Lauren Layne is the one author that I need to read. I hear so many good things about her. I love small town settings, so this looks really good. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL's books are so perfect for when I want something on the lighter side, without a ton of angst. I think you would like this one, Aleen!

      Delete
  6. I agree that this one was fairly predictable but it still fun to read. And yes, isn't the plot of every Hallmark movie: city girl goes to a small town and learns the meaning of life and love?
    Jen Ryland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You are so right, Jen. Hallmark movies have their formula down pat. And this was still so fun.

      Delete