Top Ten Tuesday: Recommendations for Those Who Love Stand-Alone Novels

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme 

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic: 
Recommendations for Those Who Love Stand-Alone Novels

Is it just me or does it seem the book world has become a vast landscape of duologies, trilogies and series? Stand-alone's are now a rare breed. And while I sometimes enjoy getting fully immersed in a great series, I don't always want the commitment. There are times when I just want to pick up a good book, enjoy it, and be done with it. That's it. No sequels, no companion books, no novellas - just a story contained within One. Single. Book. What a concept! So here are my recommendations for those who love stand-alone's. (And yes, there are more then ten... I'm badass like that.)

YOUNG ADULT STAND-ALONES
Letters to the Lost | Brigid Kemmerer
Tell Me Three Things | Julie Buxbaum
P.S. I Like You | Kasie West
The Way I Used to Be | Amber Smith

NEW ADULT STAND-ALONES
The Moment of Letting Go | J.A. Redmerski
Third Degree | Julie Cross
Goodnight, Nic | Marley Jacobs
Something Like Normal | Trish Doller
November 9 | Colleen Hoover

ROMANCE STAND-ALONES
Wish You Were Here | Renee Carlino
One True Loves | Taylor Jenkins Reid
Until It Fades | K.A. Tucker
The Story of Us | Dani Atkins
Before We Were Strangers | Renee Carlino


Do you prefer series or stand-alones?
  

8 comments

  1. Love how you broke this out!! Of the ones I read I have loved. I need to check out the others ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. :) I had too many to share so I rationalized it by making categories. LOL

      Delete
  2. I think I am a hybrid. I am a big fan of companion novels. I like that you can stay in a certain "world" and revisit old characters, while getting new stories with new MCs. I am kind of surprised at how few of your NA books I have read. I used to read a ton on NA, but not as much any more. I feel like I read a lot of "series" in the NA genre as well. (because I love companions, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that about new adult books because it was that category that had me struggling to find stand-alones. The NA genre seems to be all about the series.

      Delete
  3. I prefer standalones because I tend to read them more often - I do love sequels to an extent, but most of the time, I don't finish them...or not for a long time. hah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Series are fun but my gosh it feels like *everything* is a series these days. And that makes me crave a good stand-alone.

      Delete
  4. I need to read pretty much all of these, but I am glad they made your list! I say that I prefer series, but I think that when it comes down to it, I have enjoyed both standalones and series in equal measure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Shannon - I really do enjoy both but there are times when I'm on series overload. :)

      Delete