#Blogmas2019 Day 5 & Day 6: Best Dark/Twisted/Suspense and Best Historical #BestBooksof2019


Welcome to Blogmas 2019! 
Blogmas is the creation of Sophie @ Beware of the Reader. This is her third year (I think) doing Blogmas and my second year participating. Sophie has provided some great prompts for this month and I'm excited to participate as often as possible. I'll probably be combining days fairly often, like today. If you'd like to participate, be sure to use the hashtags #Blogmas2019 and #BestBooksof2019.

DAY 5: BEST DARK, SUSPENSE, TWISTED READ 

Verity was one of the first books I read in 2019 and was a way to kick off the year! I remember thinking: this is not the Colleen Hoover I know... this is a creepy/twisted side of Colleen Hoover! LOL Because Verity really was pretty dark and twisted. There were times I was actually creeped out by the sinister atmosphere CoHo created. And the twists left me not knowing what to think. I may be used to Colleen's emotional romances, but I'd read more like this from her any time!

DAY 6: BEST HISTORICAL READ
    

Staring in the 1950's, Mrs. Everything spans more than sixty years. Weiner lets us follow two sisters across the decades as their paths separate and converge. Mrs. Everything was largely about sisterhood - both familial and in the larger sense - but it was also a fascinating look at the social changes over the years. I loved this one and it's definitely among my favorites of 2019.

I'm giving an honorable mention to Daisy Jones & The Six. It feels odd to consider a story that took place within my lifetime as historical. LOL But I guess the 1970's now counts as history. (Ack!) Taylor Jenkins Reid created a phenomenal cast of characters, specifically Daisy and Billy, and I was glued to the story. TJR proved yet again why she is one of my favorite authors.


HAVE YOU READ EITHER OF THESE BOOKS?
WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE DARK, TWISTY READ THIS YEAR?




21 comments

  1. I haven't read any of your choices, but I am intrigued by Verity as I love suspense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verity was unlike anything Hoover has written... and I loved it.

      Delete
  2. Have I read any dark books this year? I think Hello Girls was the darkest I got this year. I don't well with that sort of book, but I read a few historicals. They were more contemporary historicals (is that a thing? It is now), set in the 70s and 80s. The Smell of Other People's Houses and When We Left Cuba were probably my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your term contemporary historicals. (If that's not a thing, it is now.) Because it seems so weird to think of a story from the 50's or even the 70's as historical. But contemporary historical totally fits.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic choices Tanya! I have been afraid to read Verity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Verity was brilliant! I shall now have to harass you to read it. LOL

      Delete
  4. Daisy Jones is one of my favorite reads of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about Daisy Jones. It makes me so old to think of it as historical, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's like, I'm sorry, but we simply cannot consider the 70's "historical." The 1800's? Absolutely. The 1970's? Don't even think about it. LOL

      Delete
  6. I have not read any of these books yet. I actually just finished my first Colleen Hoover book and was blown away. I might have to try Verity soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing that about Colleen Hoover! She's my favorite. :)

      Delete
  7. Sorry in advance for the spam of comments I'm about to give you! I'm getting caught up on your posts so prepare for the incoherent babbling. I definitely need to give Verity another shot--Hoover's books are hit or miss for me. Either I adore them with every inch, or loathe them. I have a feeling this time will be different and I'm so ready for the darkness! Also, ahhh, Daisy Jones is forever a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verity is definitely different from anything else Colleen has done so maybe it will work for you. Daisy Jones was just amazing.

      Delete
  8. I really want to read both Verity and Daisy Jones!

    -lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read Verity. I read a spoiler riddled review (didn't know until it was too late to turn away), and it put me off from reading it. Now it's been a while and I've forgotten most of what I read about it. Will need to pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, spoilers are the worst. Hopefully by the time you read it you'll forget the spoilers.

      Delete
  10. I'm curious about Daisy Jones and the Six.
    Verity I'm not too sure about but I like the sound of Hoover's new one, Regretting You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regretting You is getting such rave reviews. I unwrapped my copy this morning so I'm sure I'll be starting it soon. :)

      Delete