Monthly Wrap Up | November 2019


WHAT HAPPENED IN NOVEMBER
  • Fall finally came to Florida. No more 90 degree days. In fact, many days have been in the 60's and 70's and the last few nights have been downright chilly (by Florida standards, anyway). So I've been a happy girl.
  • Mid/late November started the busiest time of year at the office. It was easy to feel overwhelmed so that's when conveniences started saving my sanity. Amazon same day (or next day) delivery, Chili's curbside pick-up, and Walmart grocery pick-up. Thank goodness these things exist!
  • Thanksgiving was a crazy, busy, hectic, wonderful, fun-filled day filled with family. There were 15 of us at my house and we ate and talked and played games. A good time was had by all. It was a great day... and at the end of it I think I was in bed before 9 pm. Ha! 

WHAT I READ IN NOVEMBER


November was kind of a middle-of-the-road reading month. There were a few highlights but also a couple books that I had high hopes for and ended up being disappointed (isn't that the worst feeling?). I've been feeling slightly underwhelmed by too many books over the last month or so and I don't know if it's me, the books, or a combination of the two. Hopefully Santa will bring some stellar reads in December! :)

The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams | 3.5/5 stars
Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop | 4.5/5 stars
Trusting Winter by Lora Richardson | 4/5 stars
The Major's Welcome Home by Tessa Bailey | 3/5 stars
Repeat by Kylie Scott | 4/5 stars
Flow by Kennedy Ryan | 4/5 stars
Blitzed by Alexa Riley | 3.25/5 stars
Grip by Kennedy Ryan | 4/5 stars
Coming Home for Christmas by RaeAnne Thayne | 4/5 stars

FORMATS
Total Read: 9
2 physical books
4 audiobooks
3 e-book
(2 ARCs: The Bromance Book Club, Blitzed)

TOP OF THE HEAP
Etched in Bone
Ratings-wise my top read in November was my audio re-read of Etched in Bone. It is the fifth and final book in The Others series (before the spin-off into The World of the Others series). I loved revisiting all the characters and it was bittersweet to come to the end. Outside of a re-read, it's a toss-up between Trusting Winter and Grip, two vastly different books. One was sweet and filled with the softest characters ever, and the other was angsty, sometimes intense and emotional, and touched on some weighty topics.

THE ONE THAT RUINED IT ALL AT THE END
Blitzed
I haven't written my review of Blitzed yet, but suffice it to say that I was mostly enjoying it until about the 90% mark. That was when I got full-on ragey towards both the main character and, by extension, the author. The reaction/actions of the main character pretty much ruined it for me. Boo hiss.

THE ONE THAT INDUCED MUCH EYE ROLLING
The Major's Welcome Home
Maybe I was taking this one too seriously and it was meant to be every bit as ridiculous as it was. But the speed at which this entire relationship took place made my head spin. In less that a week they were in love and she was moving to another state to live happily ever after with the guy. Just no.

THE ONE THAT WAS JUST WHAT I NEEDED
Coming Home for Christmas
After a month of reading ups and downs, I was desperate for something light and easy. I was unsure about Coming Home for Christmas because I'd never read anything by Thayne and I figured it was going to be too much on the sweet side of romance to really appeal to me. Surprisingly, it was just what I needed and I really enjoyed the story of Elizabeth and Luke finding their way back to each other.


WHAT HAPPENED ON THE BLOG
I had 15 blog posts in November which included 3 reviews: Well Met, The Bromance Book Club, and Trusting Winter. I shared some of the books I want to re-read, my favorite contemporary series, and some of the bookish things I am most thankful for. I also took part in the Black Friday Book Bonanza Giveaway and was happy to gift Nicci @ Sunny Buzzy Books her choice of book. :)


WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING


WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE READ IN NOVEMBER?

26 comments

  1. Wow, 15 people at Thanksgiving? I don’t think I know 15 people! Your November work schedule sounds like my summer schedule. I was very happy that I could roll up to a fast food place at midnight after getting off work. I hope you have a great December!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, it was a house-full. Mainly it was just immediate family but there was also my step-daughter and her husband and two kids from out of state. And my sister's mother-in-law who had nowhere else to go. So it kind of grew. The more the merrier, I guess! :)

      Delete
  2. It has been COLD in Central Florida! I'm not cut out for this! XD Etched in Bone looks really good. I'm definitely going to have to check that one out! I hope your December is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm in NE Florida and it's like, what is this strange weather? Turning the heat on at night? How bizarre! LOL

      The Others series is so, so good! I've listened to the whole series on audio a couple times now.

      Delete
  3. You had a great month. Being Canadian, I just can't imagine cold in Florida... you guys don't know cold... LOL
    Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our idea of cold is a lot different from your. If it drops below 60 degrees (F) here everyone loses their minds. LOL

      Delete
  4. Well that's a wrap up Tanya!!! And my favorites in November were The Queen of Nothing and the Giver of Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked "Santa" for The Queen of Nothing so hopefully he'll oblige. ;)

      Delete
  5. I only read 2 books in November and really nothing has been standing out to me. I started a few more on audio and returned them unfinished. I'm in some weird kind of reading funk right now.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. :( Most of the time I don't even feel like reading. And when I do not much is thrilling me. *sigh*

      Delete
  6. I'm currently making a tbr for Christmas books, so I'll be adding Coming Home for Christmas to it, thanks for the rec! And here's hoping that this month you'll find lots of books you love!
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming Home for Christmas was so heartwarming. I definitely want to read more from Thayne.

      Delete
  7. That's awesome that Nicci won. I like seeing people I know win. You are the hostess with the most-est. I don't think I ever did dinner for 15. A children's party, yes, but never a dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sam. It's always fun when it works out that way. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, impressive. I've never hosted that many people for Thanksgiving before and I know it would totally stress me out, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't stress easily but hosting Thanksgiving for 15 was pushing my limits. LOL

      Delete
  9. Your weather sounds heavenly to me! We are definitely getting into winter mode here in NJ, we even had our first snow earlier in the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow! I would love to see some snow. It's been several years since I've seen any.

      Delete
  10. Oh no...I just received a copy of Blitzed that I won and was excited to read it. You have made me very curious about what happens at the 90% mark. I do want to do an audio re-read of the Anne Bishop series at some point. I hope you are having a great November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely in the minority, Carole, so I'm sure you'll love it!

      Delete
  11. So glad you had a good Thanksgiving! It definitely sounds like the fun kind of busy and I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. Sorry you had some underwhelming reads last month and I do hope that December fills your shelves/TBR with some great reads! (And great moments outside of reading, as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. December is so, so hectic at the office and when I add that to the regular holiday madness/preparations, my reading definitely suffers in December. I'll be so thankful to get back to a regular schedule in the new year.

      Delete
  12. I think I only read about five or six books in November, which isn't terrible, but my reading has definitely been slow lately. I'm hoping that I can get more reading done once I'm on Christmas break (I work at a college, so we close for a bit during the holidays).

    -lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading has slowed sooo much in the last month or so. I'll be so relieved to get back into the usual routine in January.

      Delete
  13. Thank you again for the gift card! I'm excited to finally be on holiday until January so will have time to read the books! 9 books is good going for the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon really saved the day by telling me how to make the gift card thing work! :) And I'm so envious of all your time off. Hope you find lots of reading time!

      Delete