Short Take Reviews: Coach and Blitz by Devney Perry

 



Coach
by Devney Perry
Series: Treasure State Wildcats #1
Pub: 4/6/2023
4 stars

After a successful career as a professional football player, Ford is returning to his alma mater as a coach. Excited to settle into his new job and new home, along with his daughter Joey, Ford shows up on his first day shocked to find that Millie (the one that got away) also works in the athletic department. Best friends in college, Ford was ready to move things out of the friend zone with Millie when life dealt him a curveball that changed everything. Now, after ten years apart, Millie is suddenly back in his life.

I love a second chance romance and this one delivered. Ford and Millie had great chemistry and I enjoyed their journey as they made peace with the past and worked toward a future together. Millie understandably had some trust issues and wasn’t always the best communicator. Luckily, Ford excelled at being up front, stating how he felt, and what he wanted. Ford’s relationship with his daughter was a highlight and I loved his dedication to putting her first, even when it meant making concessions for Joey’s selfish, flighty mother. While no new ground was broken here, I enjoyed the low-stakes, low-drama romance with a couple that was easy to pull for.


Blitz
by Devney Perry
Series: Treasure State Wildcats #2
Pub: 3/7/2024
3 stars

Toren is immediately taken with Jennsyn the first night he lays eyes on her. They have a hot and heavy one night stand and, despite having her number, he doesn't call her in the ensuing weeks. (His reasoning: he was totally thrown by their connection and the insanely good sex. Um, okay?) Imagine his surprise when he learns she is a 21 year old college student. The problem with that is him being a 32 year old assistant football coach at said college. Oops. 

What follows is many chapters of Toren and Jennsyn being all emo and angsty while trying to keep their distance - but then caving and having more hot and heavy sex when she sneaks over to his house late every night. (Did I mention that college girl lives right next door to college coach?) Separately I really liked Toren and Jennsyn. He was a decent guy, still feeling the loss of both his parents and a beloved uncle, and he took an active role in the lives of his young cousins. I sympathized with Jennsyn's struggle to forge her own path and extricate herself from her mother's overbearing plans and demands. But as a couple I just wasn't feeling it. Out of the bedroom there was a severe lack of communication which meant their relationship felt very surface-level. I was told they had a great connection but there was nothing to back that up. For the first time, a Devney Perry romance missed the mark for me because where was the romance?


Have you read these books?

16 comments

  1. Second chance romances are my favorites. I like the set up for the reunion. Like returning to the scene of the crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - It really was like that, for both characters. Coach was a great example of a good second chance romance.

      Delete
  2. Coach sounds cute; I love a good second chance romance, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reviews give a good overview of these books. "Coach" sounds like a heartwarming second-chance romance with relatable characters. "Blitz" seems steamy but lacks depth in the relationship department. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ethan - and that was it, exactly. The relationship in the second book truly had no depth.

      Delete
  4. Coach sounds fantastic. I'm always up for a good second chance romance. 😍 Plus a single dad?? YES PLEASE. Great reviews as always, Tanya. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee - Second chance + single dad? That's a recipe for success, right? :)

      Delete
  5. I have been meaning to read something by Devney Perry but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hena - Devney Perry is a longtime favorite and has some really solid stories to choose from.

      Delete
  6. I do enjoy a good second chance romance and I can guess hy they didn't go anywhere in the past. Too bad the second one was a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Second chance romance is one of my favorite tropes. :)

      Delete
  7. I noticed recently that I have become much more picky in romance and that most seem flat or all the same! It's a shame as I began as a romance reader. I am glad to see that you keep enjoying them, last one aside Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - Romance is still very much my go-to genre of choice. But I guess even a favorite author can disappoint now and then.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed Coach but I skipped Blitz and I think that was probably a good thing based on your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna - I really enjoyed Coach, too, but good call on skipping Blitz. It really let me down.

      Delete