Short Take Reviews: A Mystery, a Romance, and a Heartbreaker

 



No One Can Know
by Kate Alice Marshall
Pub: 1/23/2024
4.25 stars

When Emma’s husband loses his job, and she learns she is pregnant, she has no option other than return to her childhood home – the site of her parents’ grisly murder fourteen year ago. There Emma is confronted with her past: the cop who considered her the prime suspect, the locals who spread gossip and rumors, and her estranged sisters. As she beings to ask the questions she did not dare to ask all those years ago, she learns all what not as it seemed. And someone is willing to kill to keep their secrets.

With its slower pace and character-driven plot, No One Can Know is not what I would consider a typical mystery-thriller (not that I read an abundance of mystery-thrillers). Despite that, I was drawn into these strange characters and their even stranger circumstances from the very start. With past and present chapters from each of the three sisters, the truth of what happened the night of the murders slowly unravels. With plot twists, personal motivations, and an abundance of secrets, this one kept me guessing to the very end. An added bonus was Karissa Vacker’s narration which was top notch. 


The Drawback of Single Dads
by Piper Rayne
Series: Lake Starlight #4
Pub: 3/26/2024
4 stars

Palmer and Hudson were best friends who crossed the line one night. The result: their daughter Adley who they successfully co-parent. Palmer returned home to Lake Starlight, Alaska, knowing she would need the love and support of her family and Hudson followed her there. Now, living next door to one another, and raising three-year-old Adley together, their friendship has endured. Any feelings they had for one another were ignored for fear of upsetting the family dynamic they had created for their daughter. One of them just had to be brave enough to take the plunge and admit they wanted more.

Both Palmer and Hudson were likable characters and I loved how they were so dedicated to Adley. They started as friends and that bond remained, even when they both (privately) wished for more. I appreciated the representation of Palmer as a deaf heroine and that aspect was integrated smoothly and respectfully. As much as I enjoyed both main characters, I never truly felt their chemistry or was overly invested in their romance. Much of that is likely due to that fact that Hudson was involved in a relationship for much of the story, something I wasn’t a fan of. While this entry wasn’t my favorite of the series, there was still a lot to enjoy, and I always love returning to Lake Starlight.



Boone
by Sawyer Bennett
Series: Pittsburgh Titans #11
Pub: 1/16/2024
4.5 stars

As a professional hockey player, Boone is lauded for his skills on the ice, but it’s off the ice and behind the scenes where his light truly shines. Volunteering his time at a children’s hospital, Boone develops a special bond with Aiden, a 12-year-old boy battling cancer for the second time. When Boone meets Aiden’s older sister, Lilly, it’s obvious she has the weight of the world on her shoulders. Trying to keep the family business afloat and overseeing Aiden’s care, while their father increasingly finds escape at the bottom of a bottle, leaves Lilly completely overwhelmed. Boone uses his contacts and resources to help this struggling family, while growing even closer to both Lilly and Aiden.

Saying this was an emotional read is an understatement. I adored these characters - so much. But there came a point when I was cursing Sawyer Bennett and vowing I would not continue the series. And yet… at the same time I loved these people, their kindness, their strength and resiliency, their innate goodness. Boone certainly fell into the too-good-to-be-true category, but I didn’t even care. He was humble and genuine and quick to act when he saw a need he could fill. His selflessness was staggering. And then there was Aiden, a kid who was dealing with more at the age of twelve than most do in a lifetime. His bravery and his humor made me want to jump into the pages and hug him fiercely. This book gutted me (and I still don’t forgive Sawyer Bennett) but I also won’t forget it.


Have you read any of these books?

14 comments

  1. I really enjoyed No One Can Know! Karissa Vacker's narration definitely enhanced the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - I'm interested in reading more by Kate Marshall!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these...but I'm pretty sure I'd like all of them. Love your short take reviews! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lark! I find I have less interest in long, rambly reviews these days. Short and sweet suits me just fine. :)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed Kate Alice Marshall's foray into adult thrillers with her book last year, so this new one has been on my radar. With your review, I'm convinced I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan - I'm excited to read more from Kate Alice Marshall!

      Delete
  4. Very happy to see high marks for Boone. I know that one will gut me when I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam - Boone will 100% gut you. For days afterward I couldn't decide if I loved it or hated it.

      Delete
  5. The Drawback of Single Dads absolutely sounds like my cup of tea, but now I'm a bit scared that one character's in a different relationship for most of the story. D: That's going to be a huge turn off for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee - I really enjoy Piper Rayne's Greene family series and the Lake Starlight spin-off series. But I'm not a fan when a main character is in another relationship for much of a story. Where's the romance in that?

      Delete
  6. I've seen some mixed reviews on No One Can Know but was considering picking i tup on audio regardless. Seeing you enjoyed the audio version I think I will have to go that route. I've seen so many great reviews for Sawyer Bennet's books that I really should try one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine - It's not really a typical mystery-thriller so I can see where some hardcore thriller fans might not love it, but I thought it was a great twisty story.

      Delete
  7. I've had my eye on No One Can Know, so I'm glad to hear it was a winner for you.

    ReplyDelete