Series Review: The Stage Dive series by Kylie Scott



I downloaded the first book in the Stage Dive series (back in April) on little more than a whim. I'd only read one other by Kylie Scott (a YA contemporary that I loved) so I was equal parts curious + looking for something to pass the time during my commute. The first book was fine but thank goodness I decided to continue on because I ended up becoming so invested in these crazy bandmates and the women they loved. So here's a little breakdown - mini-review style - of my feelings about each book in the series.

LICK (Stage Dive #1)
3.5 STARS
Narrator: Andi Arndt
8 hr 49 min


Evelyn celebrates her 21st birthday in Vegas and wakes up next to a stranger. With a big rock on her finger. And the tattooed rock star next to her telling her they're married. Too bad the severely hungover Evelyn doesn't remember any of it.

What follows is the story of two people getting to know each other... after getting married. There's a big element of suspension of disbelief here because instead of getting a quickie annulment as you would expect, Evelyn and David decide to live together and stay married. (Then again, if they got the annulment there wouldn't be much of a story, would there?) There are misunderstandings, communication issues, trust issues... and plenty of sexytimes (that part they've got down with no problem). Evelyn has family issues and David has his own demons, but despite their differences they seem to be each other's anchor. There were times I wanted to smack them both because, despite their promises of total honesty, they still held back and kept secrets - which naturally led to problems. And David could be a jerk when he reverted to diva rock star mode. But even so, I couldn't help but fall for the rock star fantasy element and get carried away with their story.

PLAY (Stage Dive #2)
4 STARS
Narrator: Andi Arndt
8 hr 48 min


Anne had a crush on Stage Dive drummer Mal since she was a teenager. So meeting him through a friend of a friend was pretty mind-blowing. Even more mind-blowing? Mal suddenly becoming her shadow and proposing a fake dating arrangement - complete with living in her apartment.

This was easily my favorite in the series. I adored Mal! The overgrown man-child was hilarious and unpredictable and a peacekeeper within the band. But there was more to Mal than met the eye. And his reason for wanting a fake girlfriend was as sweet as it was heartbreaking. Anne was in a financial pinch after being taken advantage of by someone she trusted. Mal's offer, unorthodox though it was, came at the perfect time. Let me tell you, I *loved* these two together. Their banter was off the charts funny but they also formed a real emotional bond and had such genuine care and concern for each other. Anne was such a hardworking, down to earth girl and I really appreciated the way she (tried to) set boundaries with Mal. And yeah, sometimes he blew right through those boundaries, but he really respected Anne and did so much to make her life better. I loved Mal's craziness because underneath was a guy who was such a sweetheart. I listened to so much of this one with a big smile on my face. Play was sweet, super-sexy, and totally worthy of listening to again and again.

LEAD (Stage Dive #3)
3.5 STARS
Narrator: Andi Arndt
9 hr 42 min


Jimmy has been on a downward spiral and his latest bender was a PR disaster. Now fresh out of rehab, he has to clean up his act or he's out of the band. It's decided he needs an assistant (read: sober companion). Lena doesn't relish the thought of spending 24/7 with the bad-tempered lead singer, but she is anxious to escape her own life for a while. She's determined to keep things professional but she and Jimmy clash in a major way - and professionalism crumbles when feelings get involved.

It must be said: Jimmy was a total ass. No two ways about it. He was short-tempered, moody as hell, and his words could cut like a knife. But he also had a past that he reused to deal with - one that had left its mark on him. I loved that Lena didn't take any of Jimmy's crap and had zero issue calling him on his bad behavior. And even when she knew she was developing feelings for him, she always kept his well-being at the forefront. She didn't let her feelings get in the way of doing right by Jimmy and I respected her so much for that. The moments when Jimmy would let down his walls and drop the nasty attitude were my favorites. He really was a decent guy under all the broodiness and the times when he would watch TV with Lena (and carry her up to bed when she fell asleep) were pretty sweet. I wished that he had come around a little sooner than he did (because man, he was an ass right up till practically the end) but I still pulled for he and Lena.

DEEP (Stage Dive #4)
3.5 STARS
Narrator: Andi Arndt
8 hr 26 min


Lizzy's sister Anne is head over heels in love with Stage Dive's drummer, Mal. Because of that Lizzy is friendly with the band members - and she especially feels friendly toward bass player Ben. Despite being warned off him by her sister, Lizzie can't resist. Ben is gorgeous, talented, and their flirty texts have her wanting more. Ben been told in no uncertain terms that Lizzy is off-limits. But their text messages are just harmless fun and she's easy to talk to. But one crazy night in Vegas changes everything because - surprise! - Lizzy is pregnant.

My feelings for Deep were pretty split because as much as I loved plucky, independent Lizzy, Ben disappointed me time and time again and had me wanting to smack some sense into him. It's almost always the guy that steals my heart in a romance novel, but in this case it was strong, resilient Lizzy who had me hooked. These two had a tough road toward a happy ending and there were plenty of times I was pretty disgusted with Ben's actions. Lizzy was doing her absolute best to do the right thing, keep the peace, and make the best of the situation. And Ben, despite his financial support, often just wasn't there for her. He ran hot and cold with Lizzy and basically just needed to man up already. There were times I wondered if Lizzy wouldn't be better off without his sorry butt, but my heart hurt for the girl and I couldn't help but pull for them to finally get on the same page and find some happiness together. Despite my lackluster feelings for Ben, Kylie Scott still managed to make me enjoy their story and get behind their future together.

OVERALL
The Stage Dive series is one that I picked up randomly just to give it a try. I didn't even know if I would stick around for the whole series. But it was easy to get pulled into this world and these characters. These bandmates and the women in their lives formed a family and I loved the unwavering support they had for each other. Even though each book focused on a different couple, the entire cast was still very much in the picture and played supporting roles. I felt like I got to know these people and their unique personalities and it was great to watch as relationships formed, marriages took place, families grew. Andi Arndt's narration was a big draw (she's one of my favorites) and her performance made every character come to life. This is a series that had it all - with drama and sexytimes and laughs - and one that I'll definitely revisit.


HAVE YOU READ THE STAGE DIVE SERIES?



9 comments

  1. Lick sounds like it has a cliched plot. But overall they sound like a fun series. Great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lick was probably my least favorite even though it was still mostly enjoyable. It was rather cliched and I found myself thinking "this would never happen!" LOL I still got caught up in their story, though. :)

      Delete
  2. Oddly, my lowest rated book (3.5 vs 4) was your highest. I loved Mal. It was probably my mood that accounts for the discrepancy. I still have to read/listen to the last book, but I enjoyed the series. I don't read a lot of rockstar books, so it was a nice change of pace for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't help but fall for Mal. :) I've read very few rockstar romances but this one sure was fun.

      Delete
  3. Deep was my least favorite! I loved Lizzy and thought Ben was an ass. It took him entirely too long to realized what he had and fight for it. I wanted her to date the other guy... Vaughn? He was in another band? Ben had too many chances and even more excuses.

    Play was easily my favorite! I adored Mal and his personality. He. Is. Hilarious. I never knew what he was going to say or do next (child bride, haha). I really loved him and Anne together! Oh! Killer was adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you're right... Jimmy was an ass! However, I will always remember him saying that tables were meant for eating. Heh.

      Delete
    2. Ben was a total ass! It's like, he was unwilling to give up his lifestyle for Lizzy but when the other guy in that band started showing interest he went all caveman. Uh, you can't have it both ways, dude.

      And Jimmy... yeah, he was often a bad-tempered jerk but I just couldn't help but pull for the guy. And the table being for eating... bahaha! Oh yeah. *fans self*

      Delete