The Sunday Post #128


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer.
It's a chance to share news - a post to recap the past week on your blog, 
showcase books and things we have received, and share news about what is
coming up on your blog in the week ahead. You can find the info here:


Today, November 11, is Veterans Day, although it's being officially observed tomorrow so Monday will be the federal holiday. It's a day to honor all who have served the country, in war or peace, dead or alive, although it's largely intended to thank living veterans for their sacrifices. 

Today I honor my husband, Robert, who served this country for 21 years. As a Chief Hospital Corpsman he was often stationed with the Marines, who usually referred to him as "Doc." In times of crisis, when others took cover, it was Robert who ran toward danger and to the injured. During Operation Desert Storm it was Robert who helped mobilize the Navy's medical personnel and ensure they were at the ready and in place when needed. He served his time both on U.S. soil - in North Carolina, in Georgia, in Illinois, and in Florida at the Navy's Experimental Diving Unit - and on missions that took him to Columbia, Croatia, Beirut, Mogadishu and more.

Robert is a patriot to his core. He was called to serve - and would do it all again. I am in awe of his honor and integrity and sacrifice. It is humbling. And not just today, but especially today, I thank him and so many others who have placed service above self. 

  


Tuesday, November 6
Top Ten Tuesday: Backlist Edition

Wednesday, November 7
WWW Wednesday #30

Friday, November 9


WHAT I FINISHED IN THE LAST WEEK:
  
    
This series just gets better and better.

Quite Girl in a Noisy World - Debbie Tung
A graphic novel that was (almost disturbingly) relatable.

Every single plot thread was completely over the top, and I thought my eyes were going to roll right out of my head, but it was entertaining enough. Mostly.

WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING: 
Off to a great start!

WHAT I'M CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
What He Doesn't Know - Kandi Steiner
I've heard good things about Kandi Steiner so I'm giving this one a try. Although, the narrator has an odd thing about dragging out the last word of every sentence and I can't stop noticing it. Gah!

KINDLE:
Because Sophie's review convinced me it is a must-read.
    





How was your week? Any new books? Any news to share? 
I'd love to hear about it!

28 comments

  1. My husband was in the Navy (subs).

    I hope you keep liking Epic Love Story - it's kind of angsty but realistic imo.

    Have a great weekend.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thanks to your husband, Karen.

      I'm not too far into TIKOAELS but I'm enjoying it. I'm curious to know what happened to their friendship years ago.

      Delete
  2. Please tell your husband I said thank you for his service! I was in the Air Force, but only for a few years. The Truth About Lies sounds like a mess. I can't stand overly dramatic and angsty books! XD Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy, I will pass that on. And thank you for your service as well!

      The Truth About Lies was so over the top. It was definitely feeling like a dramatic Lifetime movie. LOL

      Delete
  3. Wow Tanya your husband is really someone to be admired! My son wants to join the army and if he is successful maybe in some years I will have a similar speech. And I am so happy that you bought Heartbreak Warfare but now I am stressing over as I hope that you will love it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophie. I know I certainly admire him. :) How wonderful that your son feels called to serve. Such a selfless act.

      Delete
  4. Thank you to your husband for his service! My brother was just medically discharged this past January (He has MS) so he's the closest Veteran to me. I'm glad you're enjoying Epic Love Story so far!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. And my thanks to your brother as well. I'm sorry to hear about his diagnosis. I hope he's managing it well.

      Delete
  5. I am grateful to your husband for all his years of service. Yeah! So glad you like the True North books and that Epic Love Story is good for you so far (I loved it). And look at this! Sunday Post on Sunday. *high five*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. :)

      Sarina Bowen just impresses me more and more. Love her.

      LOL I know, right? Sunday Post on a Sunday. Go me! :)

      Delete
  6. I thank Robert for his service!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Veterans Day to you and your husband, and thanks to him for his service!

    Quiet Girl does look like a good read.

    Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the respect to your husband, Tanya!

    It's Remembrance Day here also in the UK. I have a family that's served in the Royal Air Force, the Royal Navy and the Army - and I work with the British military - so have always respected the forces and held this day close.

    This year, the focus has been heavily on the centenary of WW1's armistice and the displays of poppy's and remembrance have been spectacular and heart-breaking.
    I found out that all the streets in the new development I live in are named after WW1 soldiers, from the village, who never made it home. I looked up my street on the local war memorial and my street is named after a family who lost 3 sons. 3! It almost brought me to tears, can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicci! It sounds like your family has a history of service. That’s so commendable. That’s amazing that the streets are named in honor of service members. There’s an area of my city that is named after generals.

      The family that lost three sons... that’s horrific. There was a similar story here back in the 1940’s during WW II. A family lost 5 sons. There was actually a movie made about it called The Fighting Sullivan’s. The five brothers specifically requested to serve together. After their ship was hit and sank, and the family was informed of the loss of all five sons, the Navy instated rules about family members serving together. It was truly heartbreaking.

      Delete
  9. Aw, much love and thanks to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you to Robert. My father was in the National Guard, and in the Navy during WW2 and Korean wars. He was an aviation electrician on aircraft carriers in both the Atlantic and Pacific during WW2. He was in US for Korean war.

    I got so many books this past week. I have plenty going on this month but not much scheduled stuff for December so I'm excited to just read stuff I haven't yet. But there are lots of great books happening in January! Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Anne. And many thanks to your father for his service. To serve in both WW II and Korea... there’s a reason that was called The Greatest Generation.

      I hope we both are able to kick back a little and enjoy lots of good reading in December!

      Delete
  11. Tell your hubby thank you! Lots of romance this week for you. Enjoy. Have a wonderful week.

    Mary #SundayRoundup #44!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary!

      Definitely a romance-heavy week... just the way I like it. :)

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful way to honor your husband and other veterans, Tanya. I'm from a navy family - WWII and Vietnam - and we absolutely should honor and appreciate all the military sacrifices for us. We don't do it enough.

    I'm envious you're reading so much Sarina Bowen. I think maybe I'll binge on her soon. ;) Happy reading, my friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandee. And that’s so great that your family has a history of service. It’s such a selfless commitment.

      I hope you do binge on some Bowen! I never fail to fall for her characters. :)

      Delete
  13. I really want to start Sarina's True North series! I hope I will soon! I am in a New Adult binge at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The True North series is a great adult contemporary romance series! Sarina Bowen never disappoints me. :)

      Delete