Top Ten Tuesday: The Backlist Edition

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.


This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic: 
Backlist Books I Want to Read
Ummm, how much time do we have? Because seriously, my TBR is 99% backlist books. I try hard to not be distracted by all the shiny, new releases (except for my handful of favorite authors) and read all the backlist books from my shelves, but that's not always successful. And choosing the top ten out of a staggering number of books seems rather daunting. So I'm just going to randomly pick ten backlist books that I'd love to get to sooner rather than later.

This book has been on my TBR (and on my my bookshelf) for more than a decade. I typically enjoy books that have a time travel element so my reason for not reading it yet? I'm worried that the time travel aspect in this one is going to be convoluted and difficult to follow. So there it sits. 

The subject matter is fascinating - and it even won GoodReads award for best historical fiction last year - but I just haven't made it a priority.

This marks the final book in Maupin's long-running Tales of the City series and I'm just not ready to say goodbye to these characters. 

As much as I love K.A. Tucker, and as many books of hers that I've read, I still haven't got around to reading Burying Water.

The synopsis grabbed me immediately, I purchased a physical copy, I drool over the cover... and I have not read it.
   
Archer's Voice | Mia Sheridan
I love Mia Sheridan. This is probably her most popular book. I feel certain it will be a five star read for me. And yet I continue to do my typical thing with books I'm sure I'll love: I don't read them. I enjoy the anticipation too much. Don't ask. It makes sense to me.

I Found You | Lisa Jewell
I love me some Lisa Jewell and the premise of this one gives me full-on grabby hands. But apparently not grabby enough to actually read it. Yet.

The Dead List | Jennifer L. Armentrout
Armentrout is an all-time favorite and this is one of the very few from her backlist that I haven't yet picked up.

How to Love | Katie Cotugno
This was the first book by Cotugno that ever made it onto my TBR. And while I've read three others by her since then, this one still waits on the shelf.
   

Have you read any of these books from my backlist TBR

26 comments

  1. I haven't read any books on your list, which really just means my TBR is growing again! My backlist is also huuuuuuge, so I narrowed it down by just listing some horror classics I should've read ages ago.

    https://ichleseblog.wordpress.com/2018/11/06/top-ten-tuesday-10-horror-books-i-cant-believe-i-havent-read/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ever-growing TBR List! If only I could quit work and read full-time. LOL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I feel like I need to prepare myself emotionally for that one, Sophie! ;-)

      Delete
  3. You have What You Left Behind, the photo, but it's not listed (just FYI lol). I have read that one though and it's good. I want to read Punk 57 too! Most of the books I want to read are backlist books too, and I'm TRYING to get better.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL So much for my proffereading skills, Lauren! :) Thanks for catching that!
      Punk 57 will be y first by Penelope Douglas... I’m hopeful that we’ll both love it!

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean. Most of my tbr list is made up of backlist books also. I started the "The Time Traveler's Wife" but just couldn't finish it. It was such a big hit, but I couldn't get through it. Hopefully, you'll like it more than I did:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I sure hope I have better luck with The Time Traveler’s Wife, Sarah. Too bad you couldn’t get into it.

      Delete
  5. I LOVED Archer's Voice. It was the first Mia Sheridan book I ever read and it just ticked all my boxes.
    As much as I love Jennifer Armentrout's books, I was never tempted by The Dead List. I don't like creepy, murder mystery things and from what I saw of this one back when it released it was a creepy suspense (but with kissing, lol).

    My TBR is mostly backlist books too. I'm determined to have a concentrated effort next year to whittle it down a little because it's a world devouring monster! (Plus, it'd be good for the bank balance! 😆).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading that! It makes me anticipate Archer’s Voice even more.

      I don’t really go for murder mysteries either (at all) but with Armentrout I feel like they’re almost like Murder Mystery Lite. With a heavy does of romance. And that I can do. LOL

      Delete
  6. I read Archer's Voice and so many people loved it but I had a few issues.

    I've been hacking away at my TBR pile all year and making a decent dent in it.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has plenty of rave reviews, but not every book is for every body. Goodness knows I’ve proven that time and again. :)

      Go you for making a dent in that TBR pile!

      Delete
  7. I have read a bunch of Cotugno books, but not How to Love, which is the book I own. *shame* I also bought Archer's Voice, because of all the hype, and again, unread. I won What You Left Behind, but physical books are largely ignored by me. I did see it at the eLibrary, and hope to read it soonish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t that crazy - we both own How to Love and it’s the one we haven’t read. LOL

      I think I even pre-ordered What You Left Behind because I was so hooked by the synopsis. Reviews are a little bit mixed but that hasn’t really dampened my enthusiasm for it.

      Delete
  8. Before We Were Yours is one I keep hearing is fantastic. Most of the others are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The premise of that one seems heartbreaking but I am so interested to pick it up.

      Delete
  9. I liked I Found You. Not as much as The Girls in the Garden, but enough that she's pretty close to being an auto-buy author for me now. The Time Travelers Wife sounds good too, I generally like a time travel story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually enjoy time travel stories, too. I have no idea why The Time Traveler’s Wife intimidates me!

      Delete
  10. I have 400 backlist books on my TBR. I read The Time Traveler’s Wife a long time ago, but I remember liking it. I hope you enjoy all these!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get over being intimidated by The Time Traveler’s Wife and just read it already.

      Delete
  11. I Found You is still on my TBR as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pre-ordered What You Left Behind. When did it come out, 2015? Well yeah, it sits unopened. So I feel you here! I also still haven't read How To Love, despite adoring most of the author's other books. Why is backlist so hard? Hope you get to these soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! LOL I saw an early synopsis of What You Left Behind, decided I would love it, pre-ordered, and... there it sits. For the past 3 years. *face palm*

      Delete
  13. We could be twins, LOL. I have that weird 'I know I'll love it but I can't read it because I like the feeling of anticipation' vibe, too.

    Punk 57 still sits for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you too?! I am *constantly* putting off reading books that I am sooo excited about. Ones that I'm sure I'll love. Because #1 I love the anticipation of having that ahead of me and #2 once I read it it's over. Glad to know I'm not alone! :)

      Delete