October Wrap-Up


October was an okay reading month, even though I'm still reading quite a bit less than my norm. It was a stressful summer with my father's illness and then passing, buying a new home and moving, the sale of our old house... there was a lot that kept me busy, distracted or otherwise just not in frame of mind to read. I've averaged just 4-5 books a month since June. October was a little less hectic but I still didn't read enough to justify a Best In Books post this month. Maybe in November (*fingers crossed*). But in the meantime, here's what my October reading looked like.


  THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE (review)
MACKENZI LEE
4 STARS
This sat on my shelf for almost a year before I (finally) picked it up. And when I finished it all I could think was, "Why did I wait so long?" Because The Gentleman's Guide was loads of fun and I adored Monty and Percy.  

ONE DAY IN DECEMBER
JOSIE SILVER
4 STARS
Now that I think about it, I probably shorted this one with the 4 star rating. Not a 5 star read (those are super rare) but definitely more than 4. I was totally taken in by Laurie and Jack's decade-long journey to finding true happiness. 

THE DARKEST STAR (review)
JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT
4.5 STARS
The Darkest Star was one of my most anticipated releases of the year. And it totally delivered. Full of action and twists, fun dialogue, some romance, new characters and some old favorites. 

TAYLOR JENKINS REID
4 STARS
I'm beginning to think Taylor Jenkins Reid can do no wrong. From romance, to epic tales that span decades, to short stories, TJR consistently delivers great stories with emotional impact.

CHARLEIGH ROSE
3 STARS
I borrowed this audiobook from Hoopla on a whim and it was... okay. 
Mostly entertaining but nothing memorable. 


CURRENTLY READING
Bowen is a total go-to author and I'm excited to continue this companion series.


WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE READ IN OCTOBER?

22 comments

  1. I'm so happy you enjoyed The Darkest Star! The Origin Event is tomorrow, so that's when I'll be getting my copy. I cannot wait to dive in! I really wanted to re-read the Lux series beforehand, but didn't have time.

    I'm sure you'll get back into the swing of things in no time!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you're going to the Origin Event! And I can't wait to hear all about it... and hopefully see some pics. And then you have to inhale TDS so we can talk about it. LOL

      Delete
  2. Great wrap-up! My favorite read of October was Soul Shade by T.L. Branson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope November is good to you and you get to read a ton of books. Slow reading months are frustrating.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ - November is already off to a good start reading-wise so I have high hopes. :)

      Delete
  4. I had a few good reads but mostly a month of meh lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope November will be a better reading month for both of us, Karen.

      Delete
  5. Don’t stress over how many books you read, just be happy doing it. You deserve a break after everything you have been through. I am glad you are keeping super busy, that helps with the grief, at least, that is what I found after my mom passed in 2016. Hugs. Hope November is more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi. I appreciate that so much. My mom and I were just discussing this last night - how keeping busy is important. Just keeping the mind occupied. I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom.

      Delete
  6. I'm just getting started on The Darkest Star despite being excited to read it and having it for over a month. :/ I blame moving for my reading evils. It has a lot to answer for... Fingers crossed for getting the reading mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting ready to move, moving, and then settling in made a huge impact on my reading. Hope you’re starting to find some more time! And I’m excited to see your thoughts on The Darkest Star! :)

      Delete
  7. I got the Darkest Star today!!! And my favorite read mmmh let me think...I have 3 books: A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi; Long Live The Beautiful Hearts by Emma Scott and The Silver Cord by Anonymous. All completely different but exceptionals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can’t wait to read your thoughts on The Darkest Star! :)
      I hope to get to Long Live the Beautiful Hearts soon. Or as soon as I’m ready to have my heart broken. :)

      Delete
  8. Well you know how I felt about One Day in December. 4-stars is a good rating though, so I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally enjoyed it. (I just save those 5 star ratings for for special, truly forgettable books. :)

      Delete
  9. Target had an add for December on the big screen and I was tempted to buy it. It's hard when a book is higher than 4 stars but not 5. I'm super picky about my 5-star reads too!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I see people hand out 5 stars to every other books they read and I am sooo opposite. A 5 star read for me is something very rare and very special.

      Delete
  10. Sorry you didn't have a Best of the Month, but it looks like you read some good ones!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did... and hopefully I’ll read enough in November to justify a Best in Books post. :)

      Delete