The Sunday Post #194


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer.
It's a chance to share news - a post to recap the past week on your blog, 
showcase books and things we have received, and share news about what is
coming up on your blog in the week ahead. You can find the info here:

  • It was a crazy busy week at the office but I got a lot accomplished so that was a good feeling. 
  • We had an intense storm come through mid-week with wind so strong it did quite a bit of damage. Power outages, tree debris all over the place, small structures taken down, and a tractor-trailer was turned over on one of the higher bridges when a particularly strong gust of wind hit. Luckily no damage at my house.
  • Yesterday The Husband and I got a lot done but the day didn't feel overloaded. I made the coming week's meal plan and made a grocery list, went to a hair appointment, The Husband did some organization in the garage, we went grocery shopping, made a return (an impulse buy I made a couple weeks ago and since decided I didn't even want it LOL), and then went out to dinner. Busy day but still fun and productive. Today should be much more low-key. I have to go out to get one item from my grocery list that I couldn't find yesterday and otherwise I plan on hibernating all day. What's on your agenda today?
  • BookBub shared their 40 favorite book-to-movie adaptations of all time. There were some I'd forgotten even started as a book. A few where I've seen the movie but never read the book. And a couple where I actually liked the movie better than the book (I'm looking at you, Forrest Gump. The book was just ridiculous.)
  • This week's 80's music fix is Scandal's Goodbye to You. Everything about this one just screams 1980's - and I mean that in a good way. LOL I remember at the time (1982) wanting desperately to look just like Patty Smyth. :)

Tuesday, February 4
Top Ten Tuesday: Five Star Predictions

Wednesday, February 5
WWW Wednesday #75

Friday, February 7
Monthly Wrap Up | January 2020

WHAT I COMPLETED IN THE LAST WEEK:

     


Two good reads this past week. Birthday Girl (kindle version) wasn't quite what I had built it up to be but I still totally enjoyed it. It's one that had been on my TBR for ages and I kept putting it off to prolong the anticipation (something I do All. The. Time.) so after so much time I was convinced it would be a five star read. It wasn't quite that but still a good one. Come Back For Me (audio version) was my second by Corinne Michaels and was filled with the same emotion that pulled me into the first one. This one just released a few weeks ago and I already want the second book in the series! 

WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING: 
    
     


Great and Precious Things has been just a bit slow-going for me. Not sure if it's the book or just the fact that I haven't made much time for reading the past several days. I'm about 40% in and it seems like things are picking up and the story is moving forward now, though. The treatment Camden receives by the people in this small town has me all kinds of ragey on his behalf. 

Sam reviewed two books on Thursday that both really caught my attention. One, Only Mostly Devastated, isn't available at my library yet, but they did have The Music of What Happens available on audio on the Hoopla app. I started listening yesterday and I'm already enjoying it. Konigsberg characters feel so genuine and main characters Max and Jordan are so likable. My heart hurts for Jordan and the pressure he feels to support his mom - both emotionally and financially. I have a good feeling about this one. 

KINDLE BOOKS:
    






How was your week? Any new books? Any news to share? 
I'd love to hear about it!

44 comments

  1. Yeah! Glad you are enjoying meeting Max and Jordan. There will be some heartbreak, but I promise, it ends well. I never read Forrest Gump, but I struggle with the idea that such an amazing movie came from a crap book. You are not the first one to say unflattering things about the book either, but the movie was truly epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I learn about that night for Max the more I feel for him. I love seeing Jordan loosen up a little and come out of his shell with Max, but something just happened and I'm worried that things are about to nosedive with his mom. This pesky job is keeping me from listening when I want to! LOL

      Delete
  2. Glad your house weathered the storm! I have friends in NC who posted some CRAZY video from their ring doorbells with damage there. Insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have family in NC and they were telling me the same thing... crazy weather up there!

      Delete
  3. I’ll have to duck out when hubby gets home from work, they didn’t have any ground beef left at the store when I did the grocery shopping and I need to prep in advance for dinner on Tuesday night because I have parent/teacher night to attend.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get annoyed when I have to make an extra trip for those one or two items the store didn't have. You'd think I had to travel an hour instead of a mile down the road. LOL

      Delete
  4. I also had a lot of work this week tanya and we currently have a storm! Seems to me that we are in sync especially since I have read Great and Precious Things and bought Catherine Cowles book too LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the audio of The Music of What Happens. It was on my best of list for last year.

    My former neighbor from FL texted me that the tree by my bedroom in our old place split and fell from that storm.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Hope no one was hurt when that tree fell!

      I am totally enjoying The Music of What Happens. I just love these two guys. :)

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you made it through the storm okay! And I love a productive day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great when you get a bunch of things done. I try really hard to run my errands during the week so I don't have to go out on the weekend. I like Corinne Michaels. I have a few of her books, some read and some yet to read.

    Have a wonderful week and enjoy some great books!

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved the two I've read by Corinne Michaels so far and can't wait to tackle her backlist.

      Delete
  8. I'm happy to hear you didn't have any damage. What a crazy strong, storm if it knocked over a tracker trailer! It's nice to feel like you've accomplished a lot and not be exhausted. Can you believe I've never seen Forest Gump? I've been told it's a must. Enjoy your new books, Tanya! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never seen Forest Gump? *gasp* You need to see this movie... go ahead... I'll wait. :) It's definitely a must. Forest and Jenny are like peas and carrots. (line from the movie :)

      Delete
  9. Wow that's quite the storm. Glad you didn't have any damage. Hope you have a great low-key day.

    I'll have to check out that Bookbub list.

    Goodbye To You- loved that song! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like doing meal planning and prep, it make things so much easier during the week. It's nice you had such a productive day, and it's equally nice that now you can put you feet up, relax, and hibernate! Have a good week Tanya :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Lindy. Much easier to have a plan for the week instead of scrambling each day. Too stressful!

      Delete
  11. Glad you are all safe. I saved that BookBub email to check out later. I am crossing my fingers I am not getting sick. I cannot seem to get warm today. While it's in the 30s with a windchill of 15 and we have the heat cranked up to almost 70 I am fully dressed and shivering. Ughs. Enjoy your new books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I hope you're not getting sick, Kim! You're had enough sickness to last you for a long time!

      Delete
  12. I am glad to hear that you didn't have any damage but that sounds like a scary storm! My husband and I always try to do most if not all of our running on one day on the weekend so we stay home on the other day. I love the movie Forest Gump but have not read the book. I don't think I will go out of my way to do so either :) I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Carole. One day of errands and running around then one day relaxing at home. We definitely need a day of downtime before the work week starts again.

      Delete
  13. Wow, you did have a productive day yesterday! I hope today was mostly relaxing then. I have to check out that book to movie adaptations list, I'm curious to see if I've seen most of what's on it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of surprised by how many I'd seen, but I hadn't read that many of the books.

      Delete
  14. Impulse buys are the worst! Just a couple of days back, I had to return an item twice. It was an embarrassingly awkward situation ��

    I am currently reading Rise of Gaia and so far finding it average. I am hoping it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Returning an item twice... you've got me beat! LOL
      I hope Rise of Gaia has picked up for you!

      Delete
  15. I didn’t even know that Forrest Gump was a book. I guess I’ll have to look at that list. I hope you have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like everyone should pretend the Forest Gump book doesn't exist and just go straight to the movie. LOL

      Delete
  16. Sounds like you had a nice weekend overall! I have The Music of What Happens that I want to read soon!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally enjoying it so far, Lauren. I hope you will, too!

      Delete
  17. Glad y'all didn't get any damage from the windstorm! I didn't even realize Forrest Gump was a book. I think I can see without reading it, though, how it would play out better on screen. Plus Tom Hanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you're totally safe skipping the Forest Gump book. It really was pretty ridiculous. Tom Hanks did it so much better. :)

      Delete
  18. Glad you made it through that storm okay. It sounds like it was pretty intense. That's great that you had a productive weekend but that it was also fun. I seem to leave the fun behind whenever I get productive, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah, it's not often fun and productive go hand in hand. :)

      Delete
  19. Glad everyone's okay after that nasty storm Tanya, we've had a few lately ourselves and a lot of the country is flooded at the moment. We've had fire, dust storms, hail, floods, expecting men to ride in on horses any day now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's some serious weather! Let's hope the horsemen hold off, though. LOL

      Delete
  20. I LOVE that Good-bye to You song! I think that Great and Precious Things was a little slow in the beginning for me, too. Things do start to pick up, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song is such an 80's classic. :) Glad to know it wasn't just me and that Great and Precious Things started a little slow for you, too. I'm about 60% in now, though, and things have definitely picked up.

      Delete
  21. Glad you dodged the storm damage - wind can be so crazy! I love your Target math. LOL Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Storms are a menace at the moment. We had one last week and we have another one this week... Sigh.

    I had no idea Forest Gump started as a book! Will be checking out the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, hope the weather has improved in the last several days!

      Delete