The Sunday Post #196


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Caffeinated Book Reviewer.
It's a chance to share news - a post to recap the past week on your blog, 
showcase books and things we have received, and share news about what is
coming up on your blog in the week ahead. You can find the info here:

  • How is it that the short weeks always feel the longest? #LifeConundrum
  • Monday was a holiday (and now begins the long drought until Memorial Day - ack!) and I was off on Wednesday because of a medical appointment for The Husband. And tomorrow (Monday) two of the three Board members are out all day so I anticipate a super quiet day. Nice way to ease into the week!
  • We had one day of winter on Friday so there was that. 
  • I'm taking part in the Favorite Things Giveaway Hop and have a couple signed books up for grabs. Be sure to enter if you're interested.
  • This week's 80's music fix is from Tommy Shaw's first solo album (he was from Styx). Girls With Guns is the only song I remember from the album but I loved it. It was always one of those instant mood-lifter songs for me.

WHAT I COMPLETED IN THE LAST WEEK:

 


Malice was a classic case of it's-not-you-it's-me. It's one that I never would have picked up on my own but since Entangled sent it in an oh-so-pretty PR package I felt led to give it a try. And try I did. But it was pretty apparent that it just wasn't my thing and at about two-thirds in I started skimming. I can understand why others like it, but for me it never progressed beyond mild interest. I give myself a gold star for trying it and finishing it. *pats myself on the back*

Audible offered me a copy of Catch Me When I Fall and I was all excited because I'd actually been looking at it just a few days previously. I started listening right away but... *womp womp* I DNF'd at just 22 minutes in. I can safely say that A.L. Jackson's writing is not for me. Everything was just so overly dramatic, every action, every emotion, every thought was described with purple prose. I swear, these characters didn't just feel bad and get upset. Nooo, they ached in their souls and felt each ragged breath as it ripped painfully from their overexerted lungs. You get the idea. I couldn't take it.  

WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING: 
    
    


I've been holding on to Regretting You since Christmas and I've wrung every bit of anticipation out of it that I could. When it comes to Colleen Hoover I waver between wanting to gobble up her book as soon as it's released and holding on to it and waiting... knowing that I have something special to look forward to. I just started it this morning and I can't wait to get further into it.

I was in the mood for something seriously dark and messed up a few days ago (hey, it happens LOL) and I decided that meant it was time to try T.M. Frazier. I was going to start with King but then saw it has a prequel of sorts, The Dark Light of Day. I don't love the narrator but I am into the story. And yeah, it gets dark. I'm sure I'll continue the series but, unless there's a change in narrator I 'll probably shift to the paperback or Kindle versions.  

PHYSICAL BOOKS:
   


KINDLE BOOKS:
  


eARCS FOR REVIEW:


AUDIO BOOKS:
   








How was your week? Any new books? Any news to share? 
I'd love to hear about it!

38 comments

  1. Short weeks are ALWAYS the longest! I totally don't get that either. Nice to start the week off quiet though.

    Tommy Shaw! I never heard this song but I did see him with Styx. I liked his Shaw/ Blades stuff too.

    I'm all for Sunday carbs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually saw Tommy Shaw and Styx at a small venue 4-5 years ago and he put on a good show. t would have been fun to see the whole band but I guess they parted ways with Dennis DeYoung many years ago.

      Delete
  2. My days last forever, but my weeks seem to fly by. It's an odd phenomena. Sorry that neither of your books worked for you. I have heard great things about Dunn's work, but know it's not for me. Quinn is hit or miss for me, but the Getting Lucky books look good. I am interesting is seeing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird how that happens, isn't it?
      Yeah, I've seen so many raves for Dunn but I should have known better. I mean, you know when something just isn't your thing. But I felt obligated. Ugh.

      Delete
  3. This time of year is rough because there are no "bank holidays" to get us through! Bummer that your didn't love your books this week. That sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? We need to spread these holidays out more evenly. LOL

      Delete
  4. I loved The Dark Light of Day Tanya!!! And I hope to read Wild at Heart in the coming months too. Have fun on this quieter Monday! It's holiday week in Belgium next week so I hope to finally do the things that I have to thanks of less meetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought The Dark Light of Day was wonderful! I'm interested to see how it ties into King (since it's considered King #0.5).

      Delete
  5. Yeah, A.L. Jackson is pretty dramatic. I read a couple of her books in a series a few years back and I think the 3rd one was a DNF. I hope you enjoy Regretting You! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved Regretting You, Rachel! Hoover just never disappoints me.

      Delete
  6. No holidays here til Easter *sigh*

    Wishing you a better reading week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is that? I do agree, short weeks are SO LONG! it wasn't a short week for me, so it didn't feel super long, but I do know the feeling.
    Too bad about the dnf, but at least you didn't waste time or money, right?!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL So true, Berls. That's a good way to look at it. I would have been more bummed if I'd paid the $17.99 for the hardcover.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, when you get a snow day like we did Friday it's great for me, but my daughter just has to do all the work anyway with out the teacher preparation and support for it. I also get the drought until Memorial Day. When I was corporate it was New Year's Day until Memorial Day. At least with my daughter's school, we have spring break coming up in March.

    I get you on the AL Jackson. I haven't read those, but some contemporary romance is not for me. I have to be a little careful even though it's a genre I enjoy.

    Have a good, quiet, normal kind of week! Enjoy some great new books!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of raves for A.L. Jackson's books but this was a case of me just not clicking with her writing style. Way too dramatic for me. :)

      Delete
  9. Sorry about the duds - hope the latest reads are better.

    I talked to a few of my FL and they told me about the (brief) cold snap.

    February has been a complete blur to me. lol

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brief is right... winter basically ignored us this year. I think we're moving straight to summer.

      Delete
  10. I also received a copy of Catch Me When I Fall last week. I listened to 27 minutes and stopped because it wasn't working for me. I thought it was my mood and I should try again. Maybe it was the book! I love days at work when a lot of people are gone. I work in a tiny office with 4 people and end up alone at the office a lot. Those are the best days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it wasn't just me. Between the overly dramatic writing and the overly dramatic narration... ugh, I just couldn't.

      Delete
  11. I'm laughing at your one day of winter! I can totally identify with that. I hope you enjoy your new reads! I know everyone seems to adore Colleen Hoover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, winter was pretty nonexistent here. Straight to summer! :)

      Delete
  12. Short weeks can feel so long, especially when the day off is Monday! Then you still have to get through the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had Wednesday off for a family dr appt too! Still felt like a long week! I love Tommy Shaw! I also love Colleen Hoover. Regretting You was really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally loved Regretting You. And now there's a new summer release to look forward to!

      Delete
  14. I hope you have better luck with your books this week! I had to have some light and fluffy because I had had too much of the heavy and dark. LOL! I do need a balance. And I'm all about Sunday carbs not counting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me, too. After a couple heavy/intense books in a row I definitely need something lighter.

      Delete
  15. I've been wanting to read Regretting You, but my library doesn't have it. I keep watching it on Amazon to see if I can catch a Kindle sale {I know it's on KU, but I don't have an active subscription at the moment}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it went on sale last week for $1.99, Michelle. Maybe it still is. That's an awesome deal!

      Delete
  16. Short weeks often feel very slow, and I don't get it!! I hope we all have a nice, faster-paced week. Crazy that it's the final week in February. I've been promoting all the Favorite Things giveaways on social media, etc. so I hope you're getting good entries. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it that you savor the anticipation for CoHo's books. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with her every release. Her books are like gold to me. :)

      Delete
  18. LOL, that is too funny about Hoover, and I know that feeling. My hubby doesn't get all the bank holidays, so now that the kids are grown I work them from home. I am looking forward to warmer weather and then I will schedule some 3 day weekends. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three day weekends are always good... but three day weekends with warm weather is even better. :)

      Delete
  19. I know what you mean about short weeks feeling longer! I love Colleen Hoover, and have to read her newest books. I can't wait to see what you think of Regretting You. I've been struggling with a book right now that I keep picking up and then putting down. It looks like you got a lot of great books to add to your shelves Tanya! Happy Reading :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved Regretting You! I hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  20. I love short weeks, I just wish all my my weeks were short weeks. Sorry to hear your short weeks feel the longest though! :(

    I hope this week was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more short work weeks! My husband is retiring at the end of April and he's already rubbing it in that every day will be like Saturday to him. LOL

      Delete